Photo and video by MJ Klein
By now all our readers know that I enjoy riding, especially the recumbent trike. I’ve taken lots of photos and done ride reports using my Nikon D80. But I’ve been looking for a camera specifically designed to capture action for activites such as rides, and I’ve found such a camera – the Gopro Helmet Hero WIDE angle.
The Helmet Hero comes in an impressive package with a clear plastic case on top.
While not intending to be a review of the camera, I will tell you a few of the cool features:
- Records on an SD card (up to 56 minutes of continuous video).
- 5 MP still camera.
- Interval photo mode, either 2 or 5 seconds.
- Has a waterproof plastic case (to 10 meters).
- Various mounts that stick on flat or curved surfaces.
- Helmet mount (for vented bicycle helmets).
- Wearable head strap.
- Versatile mounting system to adjust X and Y axis position.
- 170 degree field of vision (very wide-angle!)
- Upside down capture mode for increased mounting flexibility.
This camera was more than I bargained for and I am very pleased with the results I am getting. I recommend reading the information on the website as well as viewing the sample videos there to get the maximum information. I purchased the camera in Taiwan from Riddle Technology (through PC Home). They made it very easy because their salesperson is on Skype and speaks English. I gave them my CC information in an email and they shipped me the camera. It couldn’t have been easier and the whole transaction beats having to use a Chinese website to order something!
Now of course you know that right away I took the camera out for a ride and gave it a test. I used the Giant MTB and rode to the other side of Hukou and got lunch to take back home. I shot video (using the helmet mount) and captured the ride. It was actually raining a bit so the waterproof case came in very handy. I’ll leave you with this first video to enjoy. I’m looking forward to bringing you lots more ride videos!
Thanks for reading! We’d like your comments on this article.